I have been taking some time out recently due to a health issue, and have been focusing on a complete U turn when it comes to my well being and how I look after myself.
I’m not through it yet but am starting to feel my health improve and learning about myself daily.
One realisation I had was that I will do anything if I am doing it with other people or if I make a commitment or have public accountability to someone else. Not only will I be much more likely to do it, I also enjoy it much more, I value connection and other people. Think meeting a friend at the gym, meal planning with a friend, reporting exercise wins on a facebook group or even going shopping to Aldi with a friend!
Then today as I am feeling slightly better I turn my thoughts to work. I saw a great business challenge to take part in from a friend and felt drawn to it but the resistance I felt of “I SHOULD do it on my own, I just need to knuckle down myself and SHOULD know that stuff already.” An old pattern of my inner critic just going to town.
But really why should I do it all alone? I have learnt that I will have way more fun and be more inclined to do it if I do it with someone else. Even if it does take slightly longer than pushing through it by myself, my enjoyment is worth it and chances are I’ll actually finish it. So I ignored that resistance and have signed up
If you are struggling in any area of your business what could you do to involve other people?
Here are some ideas:
- Ask a friend, business acquaintance to be a sounding board
- Check out a co-working space
- Join a Facebook community for like minded people or be more active in some you are already in
- Set up a thread and encourage people to join you posting their wins for accountability
- Meet a self employed friend and work alongside each other in a cafe
- Pick up the phone and call someone for a chat